Perhaps, it is time to break up with technology – I would be really happy if there is any chance. 🙂 What I have noticed is that screen time is increasing in my life day by day. Unfortunately, it is not only because of work, but it is also due to pandemic all we are stuck at home. Like: watching movies on Netflix, some videos on Youtube, playing video games, checking social media, and if it is weekdays, working on the computer.
There has to be a life more than this. Actually, there was before the pandemic, for example, at least we all working at the office and knew when to finish our duties. However, even though right now we finish our daily duties, again we need to stick with the technology to be able to find something to be enjoyed – such a sad!
According to Jean Twenge, a psychology professor at San Diego State University, “there’s lots of great things to do online, but moderation is often the best rule for life, and it’s no different when it comes to screens.”
If you want you can have a look at this article:
What problems can technology cause?
I think all we know what kinds of problems can occur but I would like to touch some of them again with the examples of my daily life.
Although I know the causes and results, I cannot stop myself to check my phone before sleeping. Also, I am watching some series on Netflix, and if those series are most excited or emotional, it affects my quality of sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I feel tired and need more sleep even I sleep more than 7 hours. As a result of it, sometimes it might create a focus problem on some productive tasks that I need to work on.
What is the solution?
Well, it is difficult to give a list of how to protect ourselves but there are many pieces of research about it. Based on those researches;
- We need to define what kinds of screen time makes us unhappy and affect. As I mentioned about myself, in my case it could be watching the emotional series. On the other hand, for you, that could be reading some articles, having time on Facebook or other social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- The most important part is a no-phone zone because according to Dr. Twenge, people who keep phones in their bedrooms sleep more poorly. I have been hearing this since my childhood but my question is to myself is that do I apply it in my life? Unfortunately, my answer is no. Especially, the blue light from screens can affect our eyes and also trick our brains into thinking about what we read. In order to create no-phone zones, we need to agree with ourselves about when and where. For example, dinner and lunchtime no phone, while sleeping, no phone in the room, while having time with a family no phone, and etc.
- If the phone is with us, we need to turn off all notifications except a few of the necessary ones. In my case, all WhatsApp groups and almost all apps notifications are off, and my phone is in silent mode without vibrations. At least it helps me to stay away from my phone a bit.
- The other thing is physical activities such as exercise, sports. Also, cleaning a room can help 🙂 Why it is important because physical activities definitely increase our level of dopamine which helps to pleasure from what we do.
I would like to give you some statistics:
Social Media Usage Statistics
- According to a study in 2017, there are about 210 million people addicted to the internet and social media worldwide.
- American smartphone users, on average, launch social media apps 17 times a day. On the other hand, countries like Thailand, Argentina, Malaysia, and Mexico, open social media apps more than 40 times daily.
- Young, single women are the most addicted to social media among all market segments.
- 52% of US adults get their news on social media.
Statistics of Effects of Social Media Addiction Facts
- People who use Facebook more than once per hour are more likely to experience conflicts with their partners.
- 21% of the same age group feel restless when they’re unable to check messages on social media.
- Between 11%-43% of social media users in the US feel bad when their posts receive only a few likes.